Sunday, December 10, 2017

TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS


 
TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS,

    HE LIVED ALL ALONE,

    IN A ONE BEDROOM HOUSE MADE OF

    PLASTER AND STONE.

  I HAD COME DOWN THE CHIMNEY

    WITH PRESENTS TO GIVE,

    AND TO SEE JUST WHO

    IN THIS HOME DID LIVE.   

  I LOOKED ALL ABOUT,

    A STRANGE SIGHT I DID SEE,

    NO TINSEL, NO PRESENTS,

    NOT EVEN A TREE.

  NO STOCKING BY MANTLE,

    JUST BOOTS FILLED WITH SAND,

    ON THE WALL HUNG  PICTURES

    OF FAR DISTANT LANDS.

    WITH MEDALS AND BADGES,

    AWARDS OF ALL KINDS,

    A SOBER THOUGHT

    CAME THROUGH MY MIND 

  FOR THIS HOUSE WAS DIFFERENT,

    IT WAS DARK AND DREARY,

    I FOUND THE HOME OF A SOLDIER,

    ONCE I COULD SEE CLEARLY.   

  THE SOLDIER LAY SLEEPING,   

    SILENT, ALONE,

    CURLED UP ON THE FLOOR

    IN THIS ONE BEDROOM HOME.   

  THE FACE WAS SO GENTLE,

    THE ROOM IN SUCH DISORDER,

    NOT HOW I PICTURED

    A UNITED STATES SOLDIER.   

  WAS THIS THE HERO

    OF WHOM I'D JUST READ?

    CURLED UP ON A PONCHO,

    THE FLOOR FOR A BED?   

  I REALIZED THE FAMILIES

    THAT I SAW THIS NIGHT,

    OWED THEIR LIVES TO THESE
    SOLDIERS

    WHO WERE WILLING TO FIGHT.

  SOON ROUND THE WORLD,   

    THE CHILDREN WOULD PLAY,

    AND GROWNUPS WOULD CELEBRATE

    A BRIGHT CHRISTMAS DAY.   

  THEY ALL ENJOYED FREEDOM

    EACH MONTH OF THE YEAR,

    BECAUSE OF THE SOLDIERS,

    LIKE THE ONE LYING HERE.   

  I COULDN'T HELP WONDER

    HOW MANY LAY ALONE,

    ON A COLD CHRISTMAS EVE

    IN A LAND FAR FROM HOME.

    THE VERY THOUGHT

    BROUGHT A TEAR TO MY EYE,

    I DROPPED TO MY KNEES

    AND STARTED TO CRY.

  THE SOLDIER AWAKENED

    AND I HEARD A ROUGH VOICE,

    "SANTA DON'T CRY,

    THIS LIFE IS MY CHOICE

  I FIGHT FOR FREEDOM,

    I DON'T ASK FOR MORE,

    MY LIFE IS MY GOD,

    MY COUNTRY, MY CORPS."

  THE SOLDIER ROLLED OVER

    AND DRIFTED TO SLEEP,

    I COULDN'T CONTROL IT,

    I CONTINUED TO WEEP.

  I KEPT WATCH FOR HOURS,

    SO SILENT AND STILL

    AND WE BOTH SHIVERED

    FROM THE COLD NIGHT'S CHILL.

  I DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE

    ON THAT COLD, DARK, NIGHT,

    THIS GUARDIAN OF HONOR

    SO WILLING TO FIGHT.

  THEN THE SOLDIER ROLLED OVER,

    WITH A VOICE SOFT AND PURE,

    WHISPERED, "CARRY ON SANTA,

    IT'S CHRISTMAS DAY, ALL IS   
    SECURE."

  ONE LOOK AT MY WATCH,   

    AND I KNEW HE WAS RIGHT.

    "MERRY CHRISTMAS MY FRIEND,

    AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT."

  

    This poem was written by a Marine. The

    following is his request. I think it is
    reasonable....

    

    PLEASE. Would you do me the kind favor of sending this to as many people as you can? Christmas will be coming soon, and some credit is due to our U.S. service men and women for our being able to celebrate these festivities. Let’s try in this small way to pay a tiny bit of what we owe.

  Make people stop and think of our heroes, living and dead, who sacrificed themselves for us. Please, do your small part to plant this small seed.
    
  
 May God Bless You!
Have A Very Merry Christmas!!
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I served in the US Army myself but proud of all men and women of all branches that have served.

As of late I have noticed that it is the Marines that are stepping up to give us things like this poem and other things of a patriotic nature. Even though out of the military they are still fighting for us all and I thank them.

It also seems to be the Marines that are working with Pres. Trump to help drain the swamp so thanks again.

I thank all men and women that have server our country and wish them a very Merry Christmas. Ken T.

Anonymous said...

What if there was a war and no one showed up?

Anonymous said...

Another good insightful story about our soldiers: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-12-10/you-grow-wanting-be-luke-skywalker-then-realize-youve-become-stormtrooper-empire